Sunday, June 12, 2011

BOOK REVIEW: The Dominatrix by Emma Allen


As someone who frets endlessly about making his stories believable, it's slightly annoying that Emma Allen's book 'The Dominatrix' falls into the usual trap of feeling 'convenient'. I don't want to spoil it for anyone so I can't really explain what I mean, but take it from me over the last couple of days I've been rolling my eyes a lot. Which is a shame, because for the most part this is a well written story that's definitely a cut above some of the guff I've read lately (Roy Gordon's 'Lust Call' springs to mind). The sex scenes are well written, albeit the whole secret door to a dungeon room thing makes me cringe a little bit. There's also one scene which, after making me roll my eyes, then made me wonder if the writer had realised what she'd written as the heroine 'Mistress Karen' goes from deep anal (without lube!) to deep throat in the space of seconds (hardly dominant woman behaviour I should have thought!), something which stands out from the page like a sore thumb given the otherwise fairly unremarkable nature of the sex scenes before it.
It's also quite a short book which to me feels like it could have done with a bit of fleshing out, and like I said, everything falls into place oh-so-conveniently, right from the very first page. But maybe that's how you are supposed to write a sex-novel, after all it's not going to be up for a Booker Prize is it? I just prefer a story that dots the i's and crosses the t's and explains things properly without relying too much on happy coincidences. All that said, if you're looking for a shortish sex novel with a Femdom theme, you could do a lot worse.

The Dominatrix is published by X Libris / Little Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment